Friday, June 8, 2012

A Primer on the Shotgun by Brett McKay

Recently I've had the itch to buy a shotgun. It started after I read Creek's post on how to build a survival shotgun. The itch only grew stronger after I became a homeowner (I kind of feel like Kevin McAllister). The shotgun is the perfect weapon for home defense and disaster prep. It's powerful, reliable, and versatile. You can use it to fend off home intruders, hunt for food, or even shoot skeet with your buds.
But as I've discussed before on the site, I'm a complete novice when it comes to guns. I grew up around them, but I just didn't take an interest in them until recently. Before I brought a shotgun into my house, I wanted make sure I knew how it worked and how to fire it safely and correctly.
So I headed over to the U.S. Shooting Academy here in Tulsa, OK to talk to Mike Seeklander, President of the Academy and co-host of Outdoor Channel's The Best Defense. Mike's helped me out before with articles on how to fire a handgun and a rifle. On this trip, he explained the very basics of understanding and firing a shotgun. Today I’ll share what I learned from Mike for those folks out there who are also interested in becoming first-time shotgun owners.

Types of Shotguns


Mike's pump-action and semi-automatic shotguns

A Primer on the Shotgun by Brett McKay

No comments:

Post a Comment